This great writing exercise is about mixing a topic with a way of writing in an unexpected way. How would you write a resignation from your existing job, if you had to write it as a piece of prose? There are an infinitely amount of topics that can be written in an infinitely amount of ways (genres). Chose the amount of words that you write in a way that is suitable for the specific genre that got into your hand. A letter can be long, a post-it note contains of just a few words.
This is fun to play around with, while it develops the writer within you. You learn to look at a things from different points of view, and to limits or exceed the amounts of words you have to write.
Get yourself 16 small pieces of paper, and two bowls. Take eight of the pieces and write down these topics, one topic at one piece of paper:
- How I want my funeral to be.
- Why I want a divorce.
- Why I want to spend my vacation in Africa, leaving my family behind at home.
- Application for a new job.
- I´m pregnant (very interesting topic if you happen to be a man).
- I don´t like you.
- I´m donating all my money to the neighbors kids.
- I´lll leaving this house, I want to live as a homeless person for the entire week.
Now, fold these four pieces of papers and drop them in one of the bowls. Take the other eight pieces and write down these genres on them:
- Post-it note.
- Post card.
- Letter to the editor of the local magazine.
- Table of Contents.
- A story.
When you´re done, fold them and put them into the other bowl. Now you pic one piece of paper from each bowl. On what topic will your write, and in what genre? How would your description for your funeral look as a recipe? And of course – you write as many topics and genres as you want. The more different topics and genres you have, the more fun you´ll have!